Friday, December 30, 2011

Shoes + Art



  Earlier this month, I had the privilege of taking part in an Art show at the McColl center, and spending time with some great 2ed graders. The show was put together by Sole +, a really great charity that works with marginalized and underprivileged groups in our society, bringing them an art outlet, as well as fulfilling the practical need for shoes. Sole + often works with homeless shelters and underprivileged schools and after-school programs. I was fortunate enough to get to work with one such after school program here in Charlotte.

This pair was painted by one of the students I worked with. I was kind of more proud that his shoes were put into the show, than I was about my own work! He did an amazing job! 


 Freedom School, is an amazing after school program that provides a great extra curricular experience for elementary school students in Charlotte. For two afternoons I helped a small group of 2ed graders paint and decorate their brand new Converse All-Stars. They were so excited to have a blank canvas that they would be able to wear! The kids were so creative and excited, that they didn't seem too interested in color theory, or cleaning their brushes before dipping into the next paint, for that matter. I had an absolute blast, and hope to return to Freedom Schools in the near future.

 For the show, local artists were asked to decorate a pair of All-Stars with a social consciousness theme. My Fibers teacher presented us with the opportunity, and although most of the other artists were professionals, everyone in our class was able to contribute a pair to the show. For my shoes, I ended up working with the idea of staying the course, while dreaming big. I painted to shoes to resemble a night sky, and transfered the image of a compass onto the tongues of he shoes. As I think you will see below, there were some really amazing shoes, and I think our class contributed some of the most interesting pieces.


My Contribution.

This was a pair by a classmate. They are based on the Woman in the Shoe, and the windows actually light up, and there is a shingled roof on the opening of the shoe!



Another really great pair by a classmate.

I thought these were pretty great. Nails are a lot harder to insert into fabric than you might think.

This is a pair that the founder of Sole + , created on the 10th Anniversary of 9/11.

2 comments:

  1. wow how cool! they did something similar and it was exhibited at the sf airport. i love seeing how creative people can be when using a shoe as their canvas.
    xo,
    cb

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a lot of fun. It is definitely something I would take part in again, if the opportunity presents itself. I kind of want to paint my own pair to wear.

    ReplyDelete