Thursday, January 19, 2012

nom nom...



My New Roots is an amazing blog that has given me all sorts of ideas and inspiration for this new dietary chapter! This beautiful image and recipe is from My New Roots. 




 One of my New Year's resolutions was to start being more proactive about my health. I have some hormonal issues as well as some depression/anxiety issues. Put some carpal tunnel and an old, but persistent, shoulder injury,on top of that, and I was beginning to feel a little older than I am. I don't say any of this to complain. I am enormously grateful for all the amazing things my body allows me to do each and every day, I just want to return the favor, and try to keep this body of mine in tip top shape for as long as possible.

 One of my action-items for this resolution, was a visit to an acupuncturist/chinese medicine practitioner. I don't believe in every facet of the various "alternative" medicines, but I think older traditions probably have something to add to our modern medical philosophy. Although the actual acupuncture therapy was a lot of fun and very relaxing, the real take-away was a that some changes in my diet would probably go a long way to alleviating some of my issues. This really re-enforced some things I have been processing on my own, and I decided it was time to make some serious nutritional changes. 


 In order to help normalize some of my hormones, I am no longer eating dairy, and eating very little meat. The visit helped me realize that all meat and dairy does contain animal hormones, and as long as my own hormones are skewed, I shouldn't be adding any animal hormones into the mix. I also am upping my intake of whole grains and cereals by about a thousand %. No more processed carbs. (or as few as I can manage). I have been a vegetarian before, but I have never given up dairy in any capacity. So far, it hasn't been too hard. I do see myself eating the occasional bit of cheese sometime in the future, but I am trying to be super strict about my new diet for the immediate futre, in order to get used to this new way of eating. I am fortunate to be making this change now, as there are a lot of non-dairy and vegan options at all the grocery stores I frequent. My favorite finds so far have been Almond Milk, Morning Star Corn Dogs and SO Delicious Coconut Milk "Ice Cream" Fudge Bars.  These products make me feel decadent instead of denied.

 I just thought I would share this new part of my journey. Has anyone else made any changes to their diet recently? Does anyone have any tips for a brand new "almost" vegan? I would love any recipes or product recommendations!

3 comments:

  1. oh i totally know how you feel. my back constantly hurts so tom and i are gonna go to a yoga class next thursday. i used to go once a week as the yoga studio was literally down the street from where we lived. i am super excited about getting back into!
    xo,
    cb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for linking to that site! It looks great. So excited to start cookin'!

    ReplyDelete
  3. cb, yoga is the greatest, isn't it? I have never actually been to a class, but I have had a home practice off and on for years. I especially love hip openers!

    Lauren, My New Roots is the best! It is the perfect mix of delicious looking photos and easy to follow recipes. She has a few videos, as well.

    Thanks for reading!!

    ReplyDelete